top of page

What pay is available if you have to self-isolate?

You have a legal obligation to self-isolate if:

  • You have Covid symptoms, such as a new continuous cough, high temperature or a change in taste or smell.

  • You test positive for Covid-19.

  • You live with someone who has tested positive for Covid-19.

  • You live with someone who has Covid symptoms (unless they have a negative test).

  • You arrive in the UK from a country on the amber or red lists.

  • You are contacted by NHS Test and Trace to say you have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive.

What will you be paid if you have to self-isolate?

If you can continue to work from home while self-isolating, you should continue to be paid as normal.

If you cannot work from home, then you may be entitled to statutory sickpay if you meet the eligibility criteria (or company sick pay if there is such a scheme in place).

In England (with similar schemes in Wales and Scotland), there is a £500 Test and Trace Support Payment/Grant for people on low incomes who have to self-isolate due to Covid-19. You may be eligible if you are employed or self-employed, cannot work from home, and will lose income as a result. However, you can only apply if you’ve been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, notified to self-isolate by the NHS COVID-19 app, or you’re the parent or guardian of a child who has been told to self-isolate. Research published in March found that 2/3rds of people in England and Wales trying to access the support payment were being rejected.

Please get in touch if you need further advice:



bottom of page